At the Institute for Progressive Medicine, we have a unique and cutting edge approach to holistic fertility health care. We integrate the best of western and eastern medicine to optimize the health of both parents, which results in improved rates of conception and the birth of healthier babies.
Preconception health care involves natural treatments for both partners prior to active attempts to conceive. Preconception health care is the key ingredient in ensuring optimal reproductive health. It is a way for both parents to improve their fertility and the health of their eggs and sperm, by ensuring:
1. The presence of the nutritional ‘building blocks’ which are necessary for the formation of a healthy embryo.
2. The absence of toxins that could be detrimental to this process.
3. Optimum general and reproductive health in both parents.
Many conditions such as infertility, miscarriage and poor fetal health are preventable and treatable with preconception health care, combined with continued health maintenance throughout your pregnancy.
Recent research has clearly shown that every aspect of our reproduction is adversely affected in some way by our twentieth-century lifestyle and living conditions. Environmental pollution, poor nutrient levels in soils and foods, polluted water, toxic farming methods, chemical radiation and heavy metal exposure, sedentary lifestyles, weight problems, overuse of sugar, caffeine, alcohol and the stress of modern living all contribute to reduced general health, and consequent poor reproductive health.
At the Institute for Progressive Medicine, our preconception health care program is modeled after the Natural Fertility Management (NFM) program first pioneered in Australia in 1975 by Francesca Naish, a naturopath who has dedicated her career to developing a comprehensive and holistic approach to fertility. The NFM approach has come about as a response to the rising rate of health problems in fertility, pregnancy, birth and children’s health.
Our program offers support for couples with fertility problems and those who simply want their child to have the healthiest possible start in life. We not only aim to achieve conception, but also to improve the chances for a very natural and healthy, pregnancy, birth and baby. This is achieved through the use of natural medicines, acupuncture, herbal medicine, dietary and lifestyle changes, and cycle charting and timing techniques. We also teach couples how to understand and manage their own fertility.
Preconception health care takes a minimum of 4 months to ensure that the health of your sperm and eggs is optimal before conception. Sperm can take up to 116 days to generate and during this time they are susceptible to damage from illness, toxins (pollutants such as cigarettes and alcohol) and nutritional deficiencies. Similarly, the egg is vulnerable during maturation, for approximately 100 days leading up to ovulation. Therefore, having at least 4 months of healthy living before conception will greatly improve the quality of your eggs and sperm, which will optimize the health of your pregnancy, birth and child.
A Healthy Lifestyle:
· Avoidance of, and protection against, environmental toxins (chemicals, heavy metals, radiation)
· Avoidance of caffeine, alcohol, cigarettes & social drugs
· Regular exercise
· Stress reduction
· Organic, fresh food
· Purified water
· Good dietary balance of protein and carbohydrate
· Avoidance of refined grains, sugar, saturated fats and some dairy products
· A comprehensive and balanced regime of nutritional supplements recommended by your doctor.
Natural Treatments (using nutritional and herbal medicine):
· For reproductive and fertility problems
· For general health issues which can affect fertility
· For detoxification and recovery from toxic exposure
· Heavy metal testing
· Assessment of nutritional deficiencies
· Medical pathology
· Referral to appropriate specialists where required
Counseling and Relaxation Therapy:
· For stress relief
· For emotional issues surrounding pregnancy, parenting and infertility
· For support in reducing addictive and unhealthy habits
Charting and Timing Techniques:
· Ongoing charting of cyclical signs and symptoms (including mucus and basal temperature) to assist in diagnosing hormonal and nutritional imbalance
· Use of lunar biorhythmic cycles to complement charting
· Conception timing techniques to ensure fresh healthy sperm and eggs meeting at optimal time in the menstrual cycle
Benefits for Prospective Parents
· Increased chance of a healthy conception, pregnancy, birth & baby
· Improved general health and energy
· Appropriate for all couples planning a family
· Helpful for older parents or those with undiagnosed fertility problems
· Equal involvement for each partner
· An empowering experience of understanding and managing your own fertility
· Can be used in conjunction with reproductive technology to improve outcomes
Benefits for Your Pregnancy & Birth
· Decreased chance of miscarriage or premature birth.
· Decreased occurrence of pregnancy complaints.
· Increased chance of a natural birth without medication.
Benefits for Your Baby
· Increased chance of a healthy, happy baby.
· Reduced risk of congenital malformations.
· Less likely to suffer from various health and learning problems in childhood.
· Parents educated about diet and nutrition for growing family.
Many couples have been unsuccessful with their attempts to become pregnant and struggle with infertility. Our program takes a holistic approach to identifying hidden causes of infertility and uses acupuncture and Natural Fertility Management to improve fertility using the techniques listed above.
Acupuncture has been shown to improve IVF success rates by 40%. Dr. Kahn specializes in supporting couples through the IVF process, at any stage with acupuncture and Chinese Medicine.
Because each couple’s needs and challenges on their journey to conception are unique, the Institute for Progressive Medicine offers a free 15 minute consultation to give you the opportunity to ask questions about the Pre-Conception Program and to receive a realistic assessment of how we can assist you with your particular fertility concerns. This is a no-obligation appointment and we highly recommend it for both partners before starting on the program. It can save you both time and money by giving you a complete understanding of your commitments before you embark on a natural and holistic approach to addressing reproductive health issues.