Join Our Email List

Supportive Care for Cancer

Lifestyle Changes

Research indicates that certain cancers can be prevented with lifestyle changes and with the addition of powerful nutritional supplements.  By estimate, 30% of cancers are hereditary.  This means that the remaining 70% of cancers are potentially preventable.  Proper diet and food preparation, elimination of cancer-causing materials from foods, detoxification, and the use of potent nutritional supplements, are all effective in cancer prevention.  We can teach you about heavy metals, heterocyclic amines (altered proteins created by excessive heating of meats, as in barbecuing), nitrates, toxic additives and preservatives, dangerous cosmetics, risky hormones and hormone imitators.

IV Therapy

We commonly employ high doses of oral and intravenous vitamin C, in combination with other vitamins, minerals and trace minerals, antioxidants such as glutathione, and other specialized nutrients.  Given in high dosage, vitamin C increases peroxide, a potent oxidizing agent, within cancer cells.  Cancer cells lack the enzyme catalase, which normal cells use to inactivate peroxide, and thus are selectively destroyed.  Several case reports document complete remission in patients with metastatic cancer who received intravenous C.  We measure vitamin C levels after infusion to determine the proper dose.  It is not possible, using oral vitamin C, to attain levels approaching those achieved with intravenous vitamin C.

We see patients with breast cancer, treated with radiation or chemotherapy, or both, who are able to handle these treatments with negligible side effects.  Many patients tell us that their treating oncologists and nurses are amazed by their ability to tolerate the therapies with minimal symptoms.

Supplements and Nutrition

Other oral supplements are protective against cancer.  These include vitamin D, a potent immune regulator. Other valuable supplements include melatonin, resveratrol (derived from grapeskins), lycopene (a relative of vitamin A), vitamin K, alpha lipoic acid, vitamin C, folic acid, calcium D glucarate (blocks hormone reabsorption from the intestines), and indole 3 carbinol (extracted from cruciferous vegetables like cabbage).  Estrogen replacement therapy may also reduce the risk of colon cancer by up to 50%.

Other Alternatives

We are always on the alert for special therapies, such as antineoplastons (organic acids that enhance cancer suppressor genes) or growth factors, which may treat cancer in the absence of chemotherapy or radiation.  One patient with non-Hodgkins lymphoma went into full remission with antineoplastons alone, in the absence of any chemotherapy whatsoever, and remains disease-free for the last three years. Nutritional therapies are useful not only for preventing cancer, but also for supporting those already diagnosed with malignancy. 




  • This information is provided for educational purposes only. Never add, change, or discontinue medication or treatment without first consulting your doctor. To make an appointment with a doctor at the Institute for Progressive Medicine, please call 949-600-5100.